What is a Collar Bone Piercing?
The tradition of body piercing is age-old. In the times of yore, both women and men used to get their ears and nose pierced. Even eyebrow piercing was prevalent, but it was usually a custom followed by tribes. Even if piercings were done on other body parts, it was chiefly because of cultural reasons. However, now the scene has considerably changed- the art of body piercing has reached a different level altogether. Today, body piercing is not just confined to punching holes in ear lobes, a piercing can literally be anywhere.
Although a piercing done on any body part could earn you compliments, collarbone piercing is surprisingly a winner among fashion enthusiasts. If you haven’t heard of collarbone piercing, then it would be valuable for you to know that it is a kind of piercing done on the surface of your skin around the collarbone area. It is also referred to as clavicle piercing and is done on the upper part of your chest, either along the collarbone or under it. It’s a relatively new form of body piercing and not overly common. But when it comes to popularity, it beats piercings done on a lot of other body parts.
Pros And Cons Of Collar Bone Piercing
Many people opt for this piercing as it is a unique piercing. But before going for it, you must know some of its pros and cons. These are as follows:
Let’s First Look At The Pros-
- The first and most important benefit you earn yourself when you get clavicle piercing done is getting to show you’re piercing off to the world. Since most women rarely wear clothes that cover their chest area up to the neck, clavicle piercing is easily visible. Hence, if you want to get a piercing done just to earn compliments, then getting it done around the collarbone would be the best bet.
- The upper chest is not an extremely sensitive area of the body. It is at least less sensitive than the eye area, where piercings are very commonly done. And that is why if you don’t want to land yourself into trouble with your piercing, then getting it done on the chest area would not be a bad idea.
- Clavicle piercing can be done by hippies as well as decent fashion followers. Piercing done on the chest doesn’t look too absurd or funky. In fact, it looks beautiful. And that is why there is nothing outrageous about getting a piercing done around collarbones.
Now, Let’s Discuss The Cons-
- Clavicle piercing is an expensive procedure. It is not like getting your earlobes pierced, for which you can approach any piercer. It involves some amount of risk and should be done by only certified experts.
- During the winter season, when people like to clad themselves with clothes, your clavicle piercing will not show. So, this piercing is only suited for summer flaunting.
- While putting on and off your clothes, you might disturb your piercing jewelry on the chest. Although this is not a big concern, it could bleed if you hurt bad.
The Procedure Of Getting a Collar Bone Piercing
First, look for an expert and then book an appointment for a consultation with them. Once that’s done, you will have to sign legal documents and pay for the service. With such formalities done, you are all set to get your piercing done. Let’s now discuss what exactly happens during a collarbone piercing procedure and how you should prepare yourself-
Getting a piercing done can be a stressful situation. Since you burn a lot of calories during stress, begin your day with a balanced meal. A lot of people who get this procedure done on empty stomach get dizzy spells. Also, when your mind is stressed out, your skin tends to contract, which could make it difficult for your piercer to carry out the procedure on your chosen spot. Before the actual procedure starts, it is highly advisable that you relax and take deep breaths. Also, avoid any kind of medication prior to the procedure. Doing so could, sometimes, cause your body to have allergic reactions from the piercing.
Clavicle piercing is not a complicated process and it can be undertaken quickly by an expert piercer. What a piercer does is that he marks the point at which the needle is going to pierce the skin and they also mark the point from where the needle is going to come out. Generally, 4 dots are marked with the help of a specialized clamp, two on each side of the chest. The next thing that he does is wiping the spot with an antiseptic and then spraying local anesthesia to desensitize the area. Once that’s done, he pushes the needle inside the skin and then takes it out from the other side so that the jewelry can be put in place.
After that, the piercing artist will wipe the entire area with a saline solution. This is done to make sure there is no infection. If you notice that the pierced spot has become red, bruised or inflamed, don’t panic. This is a normal reaction and will subside with time. Now, you can look in a mirror to check the alignment. Use warm saline soaks to treat the pierced area day and night. This is so that the pierced location heals and adapts to your lifestyle faster.
How Much Does Collar Bone Piercing Cost?
For a dermal piercing, you might have to spend anything between $70 and $100. Surface piercing of your collarbone area will cost you somewhere around $50 to $100. But then the prices may vary considerably, region to region, country to country, and, of course, professional to professional. And that is why you should be prepared to pay a higher price than what has been mentioned here. After all, collarbone piercing is pretty new in the piercing world. Meaning, piercing experts might charge extra for this procedure. If, however, you are looking to use expensive jewelry for your collarbone piercing, then the entire affair will invariably go heavy on your pocket.
How Much Does Collar Bone Piercing Hurt?
It is going to hurt as much as any other piercing. However, since the collarbone area is a little too soft, it could hurt you like an eyebrow piercing. So, those who have already got an eyebrow piercing done will know the intensity of the pain. During the procedure, enough care is taken by the piercing artist to ensure there is minimum pain. The pain is actually more when the jewelry gets stuck somewhere leading to a pull. If the pull is more forceful, you might also end up getting the jewelry out of your skin. Also, check out more stuff here.
Tips To Keep In Mind While Healing
The healing time of this piercing mainly varies from person to person. But there are some tips which you must keep in mind while the healing process. These are as follows:
- Don’t touch the piercing area unless and until it is extremely necessary.
- To remove the jewelry, you’ll have to wait for around four to six weeks or as much time as is required by your piercing to heal.
- Make sure your bedding is extra clean. Starting from your blanket and your pillow cover to your sheets, everything should be washed regularly. Dirty bedding is home to harmful germs, which might get inside your piercing.
- Have healthy food and drink a lot of water so that your piercing heals faster.
- Avoid wearing clothes that cover your chest area. And even when you are required to wear such clothes, make sure you are extra conscious.
Collar Bone Piercing After Care
It may take up to 6 to 8 months to heal. While it’s healing you should take its proper care. So, here we are giving you some aftercare rules that you must follow after getting the piercing done.
- If you need to touch your piercing for any reason, make sure your hands are clean. It is best to clean your hands with an anti-bacterial soap so that your hands are absolutely gems free.
- Avoid using a washcloth or loofah while taking a bath. Even if you use one, make sure you do not bring it closer to the chest area where the piercing is.
- Take 8 ounces of distilled water and add one-fourth teaspoon of non-iodized sea salt into it. Mix well and create a solution. Take a cotton ball and dip it in the solution, now use this cotton ball to clean your piercing area.
- A lot of people also benefit immensely from using the antibacterial ointment for their piercing. But a medical expert’s consultation is required here.
- Before doing anything, do consult your piercing artist or a doctor and follow the dos and don’ts they prescribe, religiously.
Collar Bone Piercing Risks
The biggest risk linked to collarbone piercing is infection. And to make sure the piercing area doesn’t get infected, you will have to maintain good hygiene. Keep your piercing clean. Do the cleaning on a regular basis. Avoiding cleanup due to pain could cause germs to breed in the piercing area. The classic symptoms of infection are swelling which is painful, redness, and sometimes, pus discharge. Another serious complication linked to collarbone piercing is jewelry migration or rejection.
Collar Bone Piercing Images
Although collarbone piercing is a cool trend and insanely popular among both teenagers and adults, there are things that you need to keep in mind before getting such a piercing done. Preparing well for the piercing doesn’t guarantee success, you should also take a lot of care afterward. Only when you are alert and conscious, you are able to have a successful experience with collarbone piercing.